March 10, 2008, is the first-ever “Registered Dietitian Day” and the month of March is National Nutrition Month. Boone County Hospital’s Registered Dietitian (RD) Connie Buss is available to help individuals with their nutritional needs. If you are considering making nutritional changes to better your lifestyle, call Diabetes Education at (515) 433-8624.
Following are the top 10 reasons from the American Dietetic Association as to why a registered dietitian can benefit you.
1. You have diabetes, cardiovascular problems or high blood pressure. An RD serves as an integral part of your healthcare team by helping you safely change your eating plan without compromising taste/nutrition.
2. You are thinking of having or have had gastric bypass surgery. An RD will work with you and your physician to develop an eating plan for your new needs.
3. You have digestive problems. A registered dietitian will work with your physician to help fine-tune your diet so you are not aggravating your condition.
4. You’re pregnant or trying to get pregnant. A registered dietitian can help make sure you get nutrients lowering your newborn’s risk for neural tube or spinal cord defects.
5. You need guidance and confidence for breastfeeding your baby. A registered dietitian can help make sure you’re getting enough iron, vitamin D, fluoride and B vitamins.
6. Your teenager has issues with food and eating healthfully. A registered dietitian can assist with eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia and overweight issues.
7. You need to gain or lose weight. A registered dietitian can suggest additional calorie sources for healthy weight gain or a restricted-calorie eating plan plus regular physical activity for weight loss while still eating all your favorite foods.
8. You’re caring for an aging parent. A registered dietitian can help with food or drug interaction, proper hydration, special diets for hypertension and changing taste buds as you age.
9. You want to eat smarter. A registered dietitian can help you sort through misinformation; learn how to read labels at the supermarket; discover that healthy cooking is inexpensive, learn how to eat out without ruining your eating plan and how to resist workplace temptations.
10. You want to improve your performance in sports. A registered dietitian can help you set goals to achieve results.