Family Birth Center
Find a Doctor
1 Criteria Search
Dena Sytsma, Director
Making a Memorable Experience
The Family Birth Center is honored to care for you and your growing family. Our goal is to provide you with safe, patient-centered, high quality care in a home-like environment. You will appreciate the individual attention you receive from our skilled and compassionate physicians and nurses.
Features of the Family Birth Center include:
- Spacious and private LDRP (labor, delivery, recovery and post-partum) rooms for patients and their families. Each room is equipped with a microwave and refrigerator, high-definition 52-inch flat screen television, DVD player, Blue tooth equipped speaker, Jacuzzi tub, and free Wi-Fi.
- 24-hour pain management: Our nurse anesthetists are available 24-hours a day for epidural or intrathecal pain management. We also offer non-pharmacological pain management such as aromatherapy, hydrotherapy, and massage.
- Twelve registered nurses are on staff and are trained in fetal monitoring, labor and delivery, and postpartum mother and baby care.
- All of our physicians and Family Birth Center nurses are certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, STABLE, and Neonatal Resuscitation Provider (NRP); two nurses are NRP instructors.
- Birthing balls and peanut balls are available to help make labor easier and quicker.
- Skin-to-skin care for all healthy term deliveries (vaginal and cesarean section).
- Cuddles security bands are placed on newborns ankle after delivery. These area a soft band that will alarm if the baby is taken out of the Family Birth Center. Mothers, newborns, and support persons receive an identification bracelet immediately after delivery.
- Room service includes a "special meal" for you and your support person and a variety of snacks packed in a free Boone County Hospital cooler bag which is yours to take home.
- Each newborn receives a hand-knitted hat from a community volunteer and a Boone County Hospital (BCH) swaddler courtesy of the BCH Auxiliary.
- One-on-one tailored education sessions from bathing your newborn to after care for mother.
- Two certified breastfeeding counselors are available and 24-hour breastfeeding support after discharge.
- Before discharge, all newborns will receive a hearing screening, a critical congenital heart defect screening, a metabolic screening at 24-hours of age that screens for rare but potentially serious disorders.
- We offer new parents a complimentary 8x10 photo of your new baby. A professional photographer will schedule a photography session with your baby while you are at BCH and will arrange a time with your nurse that is convenient for both you and the baby. There is no charge to you for the 30 minute photo session or the 8x10; this is our gift to you. You can view additional photos of your baby on the photographers website at www.saralambertphotography.smugmug.com and can order additional photos for a fee. More information about this service is provided to you in your OB packet upon admission.
- A follow-up visit two days after your discharge from the hospital for a quick assessment, baby weight check, and to make sure everyone is transitioning well to the the new baby.
- In the event a cesarean delivery is needed, we have state-of-the-art surgical suites with surgery nurses available 24-hours a day. Our primary (1st time) cesarean section rate is 16% which is below the national average.
For additional information, please call (515) 433-8400. Family Birth Center tours are available at any time. To schedule a visit, please call (515) 433-8452.
Dr. McIntire and Dr. Sivesind deliver at Boone County Hospital.
Tracey McIntire, D.O
Rienera Sivesind, M.D.
"Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You made the birth and days after of our baby girl amazing. You are an awesome group of nurses. To everyone who helped get Magnolia to nurse, I can't thank you enough. She is doing great! Thank you for all of your help with this."
— New mother
"We want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the safe delivery of our little girl and your care. You have no idea how wonderful and special each of you are to us."
— Birth Center family
"Thank you all so much for everything! Mommy appreciated all your hard work and encouragement. You are amazing people and took such great care of all of us. Thank you for helping us bring our baby into this world...he's perfect."
— Birth Center family